I develop marketing and communications strategies that work. I can raise your visibility and drive engagement. I also execute. I craft clear and compelling marketing materials that drive business development. I’m data-driven and as savvy on Twitter as I am with creating board presentations and polished client deliverables.
Currently: Freelance Writing, Editing, and Marketing Strategy
I help clients set strategy and develop polished materials to drive business development. Marketing collateral
- Technical writing, copy editing, and proofreading
- Marketing and communications strategy
- Content strategy and editorial planning
- Project management
- Social media management and analytics
- Client deliverables and presentations
Vital Wave, Manager, Communications and Marketing, March 2016 to February 2017
Created timely and high-value materials that brought new clients into the fold.
- I wrote content that moved the needle. Marketing materials and messaging drove awareness of the firm’s services and capabilities. My work ranged from client-facing presentations to internal messaging frameworks. I researched and quickly produced highly targeted collateral as the firm identified new audience and geographic targets.
- I developed and executed the firm’s marketing strategy and budget and managed all external creative and industry partners. Marketing activities included updating website copy, newsletter distribution and impact measurement, thought leadership campaigns, and event management.
- In addition to marketing activities, I always jump in where needed and created ancillary content such as EOIs and proposals, client deliverables, and desk-based research and professional interviews.
Elevate Energy, Manager, Communications and Marketing, October 2012 to March 2016
Rebranded the organization with a new name and website to expand its breadth and impact of work.
- I developed and executed communications and marketing strategies for the organization and its flagship programs. I expanded awareness of the organization among key audience groups like funders and utility partners, and created actionable materials to help homeowners make sense of and participate in complex programs. While leading all marketing activities, I also produced papers, project reports, and contributed to winning proposals. In summary, I was agile and a true team player.
- I worked across all business units and with external partners to plan, develop, and launch a new name and website and develop strategies and systems to leverage program data and maximize exposure through various publishing channels.
- After departing Elevate Energy, I was contracted to lead the development of a complex, technical paper for the U.S. Department of Energy solar energy initiative.
MobileActive, Senior Writer and Program Manager, 2010 to 2012, New York
I tapped into the burgeoning community of leaders working to bridge the digital divide.
- I identified the early thought leaders who were leveraging technology for social change, and reported on their progress and challenges through multiple publishing channels and touchpoints, including: case studies, research papers and surveys, videos, mobile tool reviews, and technical guides. I also produced and delivered training for media development organizations on mobile security and citizen media.
- Recognizing the power of personal connection, I organized globally-attended events to support the growth of network, including the inception of the “FailFaire” series.
- After winning a Knight Foundation award to create a digital resource for mobile journalists, I was selected to manage the development and launch of the project. I completed the engagement under deadline and budget with positive reviews from the funder and end users. The four-language web resource was viewed in 140 countries.
Global Journalist, Radio Producer, 2009 to 2010, Columbia, MO
I stepped in to produce a beloved, long-running weekly radio program on the local NPR affiliate station, KBIA 91.3 FM. I pitched the most interesting and viral weekly topics, identified and prepped guests, and conducted research and scripting. I successfully modernized a classic program by transitioning the show to a live, web-based radio program format for greater listener engagement.
Wisconsin State Journal Staff Reporter, 2009, Madison, WI
I covered the city desk, breaking news, and features for the state’s second largest daily paper. Within one month, I reported the front-page, above-the-fold print story of six Madison residents working to improve the world in their own uniquely impactful way.
American Health Information Management Association Production Editor, 2003 to 2008, Chicago
Production editors do a lot. I managed authors and freelancers, maintaining ownership of all books in production. I completed heavy editing, proofreading, and typesetting on technical materials. I applied great attention to detail and organizational skills to ensure that all products were error free and published on time. Early in the digital publishing movement, I recognized an opportunity to develop an innovative product line of customized, on-demand digital publishing products. Customers could combine individual chapters from the entire line of publishing products to seamlessly build custom books online, which created an entirely new revenue source for the association.
Mann Valley Excavating Plumbing Apprenticeship, 1998 to 2000, Wisconsin
While pursuing my undergraduate education, I apprenticed under a master plumber and learned the trade of residential septic system installation. I took routine tests and passed the Wisconsin Restricted Sewer Service exam. This was a most unique, rewarding endeavor that shaped my lifelong work ethic.
M.A., Journalism, Missouri School of Journalism, 2010
Denver Publishing Institute, a full-time, graduate-level publishing program, 2002
B.A., English, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2002
Outward Bound International Leadership Semester, 2000
Microsoft Office and SharePoint, HTML, Drupal, WordPress, Expression Engine, Google Analytics, SEO, Salesforce, Adobe Creative Suite, social media platforms, SPSS, graphics development, Mailer Mailer, GoToMeeting, Constant Contact
Publications and Accomplishments
- Capturing the Sun: A Roadmap for Navigating Data-Access Challenges and Auto-Populating Solar Home Sales Listings (Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy of the U.S. DOE SunShot Initiative with Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and Elevate Energy) (2017)
- A Guide to Video Distribution Sites (Video for Change) (2014)
- Guide to Live Streaming Video and Guide to Mobile Video (Video for Change) (2014)
- Unlocking the Value of an Energy Efficient Home: A Blueprint to Make Energy Efficiency Improvements Visible in the Real Estate Market (Elevate Energy and National Home Performance Council) (2013)
- Speakership, Wits Radio Academy at University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa (2011)
- Alfred Friendly Fellowship (providing mentorship and media education to visiting Egyptian journalist) (2009)
- University of Illinois Writers Series, University of Chicago Graham School of General Studies (publishing) (2007)